Thursday, April 24, 2014

Diigo is coming to Ms. Lexi's math class!

When I was first introduced to Diigo, about one year ago, I felt it was overwhelming and too much to try to keep up with. I figured I would just stick with my traditional bookmarking, pasting links in lesson plans, and posting links for students on Edmodo. This worked ok for me for a bit, yet as my school implemented BYOD for all middle and high school students, my needs of sharing links and information on the internet changed. I found myself in need of a way to share a variety of sites and highlight specific information for my students. Currently we have way too many links on Edmodo and Google Docs, and I now see how this can all be cleaned up using Diigo. 

Diigo will allow for myself to share information with students, students to gather and organize their own findings, as well as share and collaborate with one another. What more could you ask for?
http://teachinginthecouv.blogspot.com.br/

I am very excited to establish class groups and use Diigo to share many more resource with my students to help them study, review, and provide enrichment for topics in which they need extra support, a higher level challenge, or just a different explanation.  


I will guide the students through setting up an account, and provide them with simple starter activities and discussions, such as what we just practiced in this course. Diigo will allow student research to be more efficient, organized, and less either: copying and pasting chunks of information to a massive separate document or excessive printing. Neither of these things ever work out too well for my middle schoolers. 

Instead, I foresee homework assignments such as, “research a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.” Student will be instructed to post their findings on the Diigo group, including a description of the type of proof or type of visual representation. Students will then view each other’s links, create comments (noting similarities and differences between the different types of the proofs) and spend time exploring other students’ findings on the Pythagorean Theorem. 

As I have said before, Diigo can be a very, very focused search tool. I want to help the students in my class discover, use, and value this tool. I can’t wait to get started with Diigo in my class! 



-Lexi 

4 comments:

  1. I love the possibility of math homework being a collaborative research problem! What a great way to have your students work collaboratively in an online math setting. Brilliant idea, Miss Lexi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ideas, Lexi! I think your mathematicians will be fascinated to learn even more math with you by using this simple organizational tool. I look forward to coming into your classroom and seeing Diigo in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Diigo can be a focused search tool and a great way for students to collaborate with one another. I appreciate the quote presented with your blog as it is so relevant to what we are trying to accomplish here by learning how to use and share new technology tools with each other and our students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate that you recognize how students are wont to copy an paste chunks of information, but that you are embracing this tendency and using Diigo as a way to force comments and thoughts to come out of our copy and paste (or I this case, highlighting) mentality. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete